It took a little longer than I thought it would, but I got the shelf finished up today and it is ready to hang up. I just have to find the perfect spot for it. The wood burning was an interesting process, I needed to keep a steady hand and not linger on any spot too long. In the future I think I would use a larger torch to speed things up, but then I might lose some control over the process. I like the beeswax finish and experimented with a few ways to apply it, involving the torch, an iron, and the oven broiler. In the end I like the way it all turned out. I would like to try some more steam bending in the future, but I will need to build myself a steam box to make things run a bit smoother.
Next I am moving on to a computer table I started about a month ago. The legs are roughed out, now I just need a few days in the shop to make the aprons, stretchers, and top to finish it off.